thumb-450

Jericho

Dead Sea

The Dead Sea, known in Arabic as Al-Bahr Al–Mayyeit, is a salt lake bordering Jordan to the east and Palestine to the west. It lies 423 meters below sea level, the lowest elevation on the Earth’s surface. The Dead Sea is 377 m (1,237 ft) deep and has a 33.7% salinity, making it one of the world’s saltiest bodies of water.

Hisham’s Palace

Also known as Khirbet el Mafjar, Hisham’s Palace is one of the main archeological sites in Jericho. Built in the 8th century during the Umayyad period as a hunting lodge and winter resort, its name is associated with the Umayyad Caliph El Hisham Ibn Abd Al Malik. The site is located 2km north of Jericho. The uncovered excavation shows the remains of the magnificent winter palace that was destroyed by an earthquake in 747 AD, shortly after construction. The site contains royal buildings, a mosque, water fountains, and spectacular mosaic floors.

Jericho City Market

Jericho City Market, also referred to in Arabic as “Al-Souk,” is located near the City Center Square.

Jericho is one of the most important cities for agriculture in Palestine. You are invited to visit “Souk Areha” Jericho Market which offers a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. Don’t miss the dates and bananas which have been grown locally for thousands of years.

Jericho Mosaic Center

The Jericho Mosaic Center was established in 2000 as part of the “Requalification and Valorization of the Tourist and Archaeological Resources of “Qasr Hisham” Project, the main objective of the Center was to train specialized personnel in all aspects of mosaic production, with particular attention to ancient mosaic conservation.

Jesus Baptismal Site

Jesus Baptismal Site is located on the banks of the Jordan River and is thought to be the site of Jesus’ baptism by John the Baptist in the New Testament. Christian tradition marks this site as the place of the “spiritual birth” of Jesus as opposed to his physical birth in Bethlehem and is an important site of pilgrimage. After undergoing restorations, Qasr El Yahud is now open to visitors.

Nabi Musa

The Tomb of Nabi Musa (the Prophet Moses) has been a site of annual pilgrimage since the time of Salah al-Din. The first structure was built in 1269 by the Mamluk. In 1470, it was enlarged and then renovated again in 1820 by the Turks. On the site you will see a beautiful and serene mosque with a white domed roof and glazed mihrab.

Qumran

Qumran is located 20 km south of Jericho is Qumran, the site where the famous Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered by a Bedouin shepherd Mohammad Al Deeb in 1947. The scrolls were hidden in clay jars inside the cliffs, high above the Dead Sea. Among the findings were books of an unknown religious community identified as the Essenes. The writing of the Scrolls covered a period of some 300 years.

Monastery of St Gerasimos

The Monastery of St Gerasimos was Founded by St Gerasimus in 455AD, this Greek Orthodox Monastery is one of the oldest in Palestine. The history of the Monastery is also closely linked to other Christian narratives. Mary, Joseph, and the infant Jesus were believed to have found refuge in a cave here during their flight from Herod. An underground chapel was built on the spot where tradition has it the Holy Family spent the night.

Wadi El Qelt

Samou’ City is located 18 km southwest of Hebron. The city can be reached by public transportation from the Central Bus Station in Hebron. Its altitude 725m above sea level, and because of its geographical location Samou’ tends to experience extreme climate changes, very hot during the summer and cold during the winter. Samou’ had 22,000 residents according to census date from the end of 2011. The city is famous for its agricultural and commercial industries.

The Monastery of Temptation

The Monastery of Temptation is traditionally considered the site where Christ was tempted by the devil during his 40-day fast. The place is also sometimes referred to as Mount Quarantania or Jabal Quruntal in Arabic. Both names arise from the Latin word quarentena meaning 40. The site is said to be identified by Empress Helena of Constantinople during her pilgrimage in 326 AD.