The village of Al Jib is located northwest of Jerusalem. It was a very famous Canaanite city, built in the 12th century BC. The most important discoveries in the village include a water tunnel dating back to the Iron Age, in addition to tombs from the Bronze Age.
Located in the center of Ramallah, Al Manara Square is one Ramallah’s most famous and iconic landmarks.
During the British Mandate the cities of Ramallah and Al Bireh were connected to an electric grid. Al Manara or ‘the lighthouse,’ in English, refers to the pole that was planted between the two cities that housed the switchboard controlling the lighting of the streetlamps.
he village of Al Nabi Samuel is located 12km southwest of Ramallah. The name of the village has nothing to do with Prophet Samuel, who was actually buried in Al Rama. The village is known for its strategic location, for that reason the Crusaders seized the village and used it as a military base for their armies.
In 1962 Al Omari Mosque was built on the site of what was a municipal guesthouse, the maqam (shrine) of Ibrahim Khalil, and the hall of the Ramallah Youth Society. It has been said that the site of the Al Omari Mosque dates back to the time of Omar Bin Al Khattab, however no physical evidence exists to date how far back the site was used as a religious location.
The Yasser Arafat Square is situated in the Ramallah city center, at the site known historically as the “Clock Tower Roundabout”. The Municipality sought for it to represent the nature of the leader’s personality, which ranged from strength to firmness in positions. The monument resembles a lighthouse, representing the leader as the symbol of the Palestinian people and its cause. His intimate relationship with his people is symbolized by the water at the bottom of the structure
With a population of 6000 inhabitants, Birzeit is also famous for its University. Birzeit University was founded in 1924, and is the largest and most important university in Palestine. Much of the surrounding land consists of olive trees which were historically the source of sustenance for what was primarily an agrarian society.
The Coptic Church: A large new Church with two high bell towers was built on top of one of the highest hills in Ramallah, belonging to the Coptic Orthodox Church. One of the features of the Church is the beautiful wooden iconostasis inside.
A beautiful nature reserve 5 km northwest Ramallah, Ein Qinya is famous for its natural springs and various plants, birds, and animals. Ein Qinya is considered the perfect place for spending time in nature. The location offers many activities including jogging, hiking, and excursions. In the village of Ein Qinya there are 5 natural springs. Its location has made it a very famous stop for travelers for more than 400 years.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Hope in Ramallah was founded in 1954. Graduates of the Schneller Lutheran School and the Talitha Kumi Lutheran School who resided in Ramallah requested that a Lutheran church be established there. Today, the congregation of the Lutheran Church of Hope has about 92 Palestinian families. In 1995, the joint Lutheran-Anglican scouting program was established.
Jamal Abd el Nasser Mosque is one of the largest in the city of Ramallah and is located in Al-Bireh. It was named in honor of the Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser. The Mosque was built at the end of the 20th Century, it is well known for its beautiful internal and external Ottoman architecture. The main entrance is decorated with six long windows and the main door sits in a beautiful arch, giving the sense of a castle from the outside.